Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Artist's Prayer

Perhaps I should have mentioned earlier that I am currently following a program called “The Artist’s Way” during my time here in Italy. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it, the Artist’s Way is a 12 week program to help “blocked creatives” (read: people who like colors and words better than numbers) to tap into their creative powers and fulfill their dreams of doing the creative work they’ve always wanted to. I am on Week 4 of this course currently and I am in love! It is not always fun, because it includes writing three longhand pages every morning, which necessitates waking up earlier than I absolutely HAVE to, which, in college, is never a preferable, but I can already see the growth in my artistic life that is coming from it.

Read more about The Artist’s Way here at their website. I highly recommend this program! Julia Cameron is truly a gifted teacher and an inspirational artist.

I tell you all this to get to a point: One of this week’s exercises is to write an Artist Prayer, which I would like to share with all of you. This is my Artist’s Prayer, and you are welcome to use mine or create your own. Even outside the context of The Artist’s Way, I think this is a worthwhile exercise.

Dear Lord,

Help me to use my creativity to glorify you.

Free me from the doubt and fear that keeps me locked inside my own limitations and perceptions. Lead me to my passions, my mediums and my stories. Help me to see the beauty of your work so that I may also bring beauty to others. Bless me with patience and perseverance in faith, art, and life. Let me be your hands, your eyes, and your mouth in the world. Fill my heart with your love and your peace, despite my perceived successes or failures. Hold my hand as I take my daily leap of faith.

Thy will be done.

Amen.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...