Monday, November 8, 2010

Bookbag Challenge Day 1

A week ago today we took off from the Villa at 6am to make it to the train station in time for our train to Bologna, because oddly enough Florence doesn't really have an airport to speak of. I’m telling you, they could make a mint if they put one in. Anyway, we made it to Bolonga, took a FIVE euro bus to the airport (which was not FIVE euros away—such a racket), checked in and waited for our flight with our backpacks. You’re not actually assigned a seat on Ryanair flights so people started lining up about twenty minutes before boarding to get a good seat. And then boarding was delayed about twenty minutes, so we were standing in our winter coats for about forty minutes shoulder to shoulder. It was a wee bit warm.

The flight itself was good and we managed to be close enough to the front that I snagged us an emergency exit row, because in addition to being wonderful, my boyfriend John is 6’6” and a lot of that is legs. The exit row was actually very roomy and he could cross one leg over the other, which I think is a flying first for him.

We landed in Edinburgh and took a bus to our hostel, which was cleverly called ‘The Hostel.” Considering that we only paid $5 a night to stay there, it was like heaven. I stayed several places in France that were not near as a nice but cost a lot more. So if you’re going to Edinburgh, hit them up. Sure we were sharing a room with 13 other people, but they were mostly quiet and very courteous, so it was good.

We decided to get something hot to eat (Hello fish and chips!), walk around and get our bearings, and do some grocery shopping that night. We also made a trip to Edinburgh’s Catholic cathedral for All Saints Day mass, but when we got there we found out that the priest who was supposed to say 7:30 Holy Day Mass was sick/gone and so there had been a Polish mass at 6pm to replace it, which we missed. We got a good 40 minutes in prayer in though as we waited for it to start!

So, I failed at getting my picture taken on Monday, so here’s a summary of what I wore:

It was a good airport outfit because everything was loose and the boots were easy to take on and off for security. Also, that's not really the scarf I wore, so here's what it really looked like, wrapped around my head.




It is a beautiful scarf I got here in Italy and I love it dearly. You can also see that I had a black bomber jacket that I found for 10 euros in a side street on the way to the Duomo two weeks ago. 


It was a good first day!


Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...